For many years upper and middle-class boys went to school but their sisters remained at home, often under the care of an unqualified governess. However by the mid 1800s a few determined individuals craved a life of greater independence and from them grew a movement to improve secondary and higher education for women. It was in the context of this movement that, in 1896, two sisters, Miss Edith and Miss Mary Buller, founded Farlington. In looking for a new school in Sussex they chose Haywards Heath that at the time was a burgeoning new town with good main line railway connections between London and Brighton.
Isabel and Charlotte Moberly took over the School in 1898. Their vision and inspirational leadership ensured that the School grew and prospered through the first half of the 20th century, surviving both the hardships of two world wars and the challenges of the Depression Era.
In 1948, after an inspection by the Ministry of Education, Farlington became officially recognised as an Independent School. Partly as a consequence of that recognition, Effie Simpson, then Headmistress, realised that in order for the School to prosper it needed larger facilities. In 1954 she purchased Strood Park, the last day at the Haywards Heath site was 15th December 1954 and the School opened in its current location at Strood Park on 20th January 1955.